Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day Seven - Love Believes The Best

For today’s dare, get two sheets of paper. On the first one, spend a few minutes writing out positive things about your spouse. Then do the same with negative things on the second sheet. Place both sheets in a secret place for another day. There is a different purpose and plan for each. At some point during the remainder of the day, pick a positive attribute from the first list and thank your spouse for having this characteristic.

If there is anything praiseworthy -- meditate on these things. (Philippians 4:8)

Positive:
-He will do whatever need be to make sure that we are provided for.
-He's an amazing father and would do ANYTHING for his boys.
-He has a phenomenal talent with guitar and is a great singer.
-Very aware of other people's feelings.
-Does sweet little things for me(He once gave me a book of TONS of pictures he took of me or of things that reminded him of me and told me that all the things in there are when he thinks I'm the most beautiful/the best. None of them were when I was all done up.)
-Makes sacrifices for the family.
-He's hilarious and can make anyone laugh when they only want to cry.
-He strives to be a better Christian and have God be #1 in his life.
-He's very respectful to others.
-An AMAZING cook.
-Has a lot of determination to do whatever it takes to provide a good life for his family, and has become extremely self-motivated.

Negative:
-Sometimes, Black Ops takes priority over me.
-He doesn't share everything with me because he's afraid it'll hurt me or be a burden. I just want to know what makes him upset.
-Kind of goes with #2, but he's not really 100% honest if I want to know something. It's not that he lies, but he just doesn't tell me the whole truth because he wants to "protect me". He just doesn't realize that it makes me feel awful.

So this dare was pretty interesting. I was surprised how easy I could list off all those great things, and how hard it was to come up with those 3 things. It really made me realize how much I dwell over all those little tiny bad things and don't stop to realize what's really good about him. I have to stop living in the depreciation room.
For the second part of the dare, I decided that I don't tell him how appreciative I am about him making all those sacrifices to go to school/work to take care of us. And how hard it can be sometimes. So during dinner, I just looked at him and said "I just want to thank you so much for making sacrifices for our family, and for working so hard to provide for us. I don't think I tell you enough." He only said, "you're welcome", but the look on his face.. I think he was surprised but happy that I'd said it. I think he just needs to hear that stuff more often. I didn't really realize it until this dare, and I'm really happy that it's making me acknowledge this.

No comments:

Post a Comment